An Essential guide to the SDS study permit for Canada | IELTS requirement update. International students seeking an excellent education in a friendly setting with a variety of cultures frequently choose Canada as their preferred location. The nation has a variety of institutions and programmes, making it a desirable option for individuals pursuing their academic aspirations overseas. Canada developed the Study Direct Stream (SDS) programme to expedite and improve the procedure for overseas students. In this blog, we will discuss the SDS study permit for Canada and the updates on the IELTS requirement.
Comprehension of the SDS study permit
The Canadian government launched a programme for processing student visas called Study Direct Stream (SDS). It’s intended to speed up the application procedure for study permits for foreign students from particular nations. The main objective of SDS is to offer eligible students a quicker and more effective means to get their study permits, facilitating a smoother transition to studying in Canada.
Qualification for SDS
Canada established the Study Direct Stream (SDS) programme to streamline the application procedure for study permits for foreign students.
In order to be eligible for the SDS programme, you must:
- A citizen of one of the participating nations is required. China, India, the Philippines, Pakistan, Vietnam, Morocco, and Senegal are some of these nations. For the most recent list of nations that qualify, visit the official government website.
- You must have a valid letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada.
- You must show documentation proving you have paid the first year’s tuition for your study programme at the DLI.
- You must purchase a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution. This GIC should cover your living expenses for your first year in Canada.
- You must have a medical checkup by a doctor on the approved panel and acquire a medical certificate as proof of your excellent health before you can apply.
- To prove that you don’t have a criminal past, you must present a police clearance certificate.
Meeting the language competence criteria is one of the SDS program’s key requirements. To be eligible for the SDS programme, you must fulfil the following minimum IELTS score requirements as of September 2021:
Overall band score- 6.0 or higher
Individual skill scores: A minimum score of 6.0 is required for each skill (listening, reading, writing, and speaking).
The institution and study programme you choose may have different requirements for IELTS scores, so it’s crucial to be aware of this. Therefore, it’s imperative to confirm the precise specifications of your preferred DLI.
How to apply ?
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to apply for an SDS study permit-
- Compile any required documents, such as a copy of your GIC, proof of tuition payment, the results of your medical checkup, and, if relevant, a police clearance certificate.
- Take the IELTS test and ensure you meet the minimum score requirements of your chosen DLI.
- Create an online account on the official website of the Government of Canada for Immigration and Citizenship (IRCC).
- Fill out the online study permit application form, making sure you choose SDS.
- Pay the required study permit application fee.
- You might be required to provide biometrics, which include fingerprints and a photo, depending on the nation in which you now reside.
- Upload all required documents and submit your application online. Ensure that you provide accurate and complete information.
- You must wait for the IRCC to process your application after you submit it. Application well in advance is advised because processing times can change.
- If requested, provide any additional information or attend an interview.
- Your application will be approved, and you will then get your study permission.
New IELTS test requirements
In August 2023, the IELTS criteria for foreign students in Canada changed. IELTS Academic test takers in Canada are not required to achieve a minimum band score of 6.0 in each of the test’s component sections. The Canadian government may also alter its immigration regulations and language competency standards in the future. Therefore, it is crucial to check the most recent requirements on the official website of the Government of Canada or consult with the Canadian embassy or consulate in your home country.