Important guide for Study Direct Stream(SDS) study permits in Canada | IELTS requirement update: International students looking for an excellent education in a friendly, diversified atmosphere have traditionally favoured Canada. A variety of programmes and educational establishments make the nation a desirable option for anyone seeking to further their academic aspirations overseas. Canada launched the Study Direct Stream (SDS) programme to streamline and improve the procedure for overseas students. We’ll talk about the updated IELTS requirements and the SDS study visa for Canada in this blog post.
What is the SDS study permit?
Important guide for Study Direct Stream(SDS) study permits in Canada: In order to facilitate an easier transition for eligible international students to study in Canada, the government of Canada introduced the Study Direct Stream (SDS) student permit processing programme. SDS is intended to speed up the application process for study permits for international students from specific countries.
Eligible criteria for the SDS:
- Proof that you have paid the tuition for the first year of your study programme at the DLI must be presented.
- A Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) must be obtained from one of the participating Canadian financial institutions. Your living expenditures for the first year in Canada ought to be covered by this GIC.
- Applicant must be a citizen of one of the participating countries. These countries include China, India, the Philippines, Pakistan, Vietnam, Morocco, and Senegal. Check the official government website for the updated list of eligible countries.
- Applicant must receive a medical certificate attesting to your excellent health and have a medical examination performed by a panel physician recognised by the application process.
- Proof that you have no criminal history, you will need to present a police clearance certificate, if needed.
- Applicant must also have a valid letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada.
IELTS requirement for SDS:
- Completing the language proficiency requirements is one of the SDS program’s key requirements. As of September 2021, the minimum IELTS score requirements listed below must be fulfilled in order to be considered for the SDS programme:
- Individual skill scores- Each skill (listening, reading, writing, speaking) must have a minimum score of 6.0
- Overall band score- 6.0 or higher
- It’s important to remember that these specifications could change, and that the school and study programme you select could have different requirements for your IELTS score. It is also essential to review the particular requirements of the DLI you have selected.
# Recent IELTS requirement update:
In August 2023, the IELTS requirements for International students studying in Canada was updated. Canadians taking the IELTS Academic exam are exempt from having to score at least 6.0 bands in each of the test’s component sections. The Canadian government may also change its policy regarding immigration and language proficiency in the future. As such, it is imperative that you verify the latest requirements on the Government of Canada’s official website or speak with the Canadian embassy or consulate in your place of residence.
# How to apply for the SDS study permit for Canada?
- Gather every necessary document, such as the GIC certificate, the transcript of the medical examination, the proof of tuition paid, and, if relevant, the police clearance certificates.
- Make sure you achieve the minimum score requirements of the DLI you have selected by taking the IELTS exam.
- Register online at the Government of Canada’s official Immigration and Citizenship website (IRCC).
- Make sure you choose the SDS option when completing the online study permit application form.
- Make sure you pay the application fee for a study permit.
- Complete the necessary document uploads and submit your online application. Make sure the information you supply is accurate and comprehensive.
- After submission, you will have to wait for the IRCC to begin processing your application. It is essential to apply well in advance as processing times may differ.
- Provide any other details upon request, or show up for an interview.
- Your study permission will be sent to you after your application has been approved.
- Depending on your country of residence, you may need to provide biometrics, which include fingerprints and a photograph.